Heart of a Lion, Hands of a Woman: What Women Neurosurgeons Do
On Sale now at AANS Marketplace

Friday, July 30, 2010

Taste of Summer

I found this recipe for the perfect quick pickling sauce and wanted to share it! The result is close to the taste of those great veggies you get in  good Thai restaurant.   It is a perfect way to use those extra cucumbers, carrots, onions (and probably zucchini!) that are coming into season. Use the final product alone, as garnish for meat/fish, as a component in a complex salad...the uses are endless.  I like using any leftovers on my lunch sandwhich-YUM!  I usually double or triple the recipe because it is so easy and then I have a ready supply on hand.

Pickling Juice

1 cup water
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 whole clove
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (any hot pepper will do, more or less to taste)

Combine all the ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes or until the salt and sugar dissolved.  Cool, strain and store until ready to use.


To Pickle:
Slice a red onion (thin)
Warm 1/2 cup pickling juice (in pot or microwave).
Add onion and steep for 30 minutes (more is fine).
Strain and reserve liquid for reuse (I find it is good for 2-3 times then I discard).

2 comments:

  1. My comment has nothing to do with your post though the pickles look good. As I know you write poetry, I want to encourage you to enter Dr. Charles 1st Anniversary Poetry Contest. Check out his blog for the details: http://www.theexaminingroom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks-I am working on one to submit and I have encouraged several others to submit as well, thanks

    ReplyDelete