1 medium butternut squash
1 medium to large white onion (peeled and diced)
1 tbs cumin (toasted and ground)
1 tbs aleppo pepper
1-2 quarts good vegetable stock or bouillon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and place face down on greased pan, bake at 350 until flesh soft. Cool.
- Scoop seeds out of squash (save if you want to roast them), then scoop flesh away from skin and save pulp.
- In a large sauce pan, sauté onions in small amount of oil until soft.
- Add toasted cumin and pepper and stir.
- Add prepared squash pulp and cover with stock.
- Simmer for at least 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Puree soup (in pot with hand held device or in blender) and adjust consistency with additional stock if desired.