Heart of a Lion, Hands of a Woman: What Women Neurosurgeons Do
On Sale now at AANS Marketplace

Monday, November 1, 2010

Neurosurgeon Foodie

Last week I was finishing up my pre-operative routine with a lovely woman suffering from a recurrent brain tumor when she stopped and inquired whether she could ask a strange question.  I know this patient and most of her family well so I figured, sure, why not? I nodded and she continued-I was seeing my podiatrist the other day and I told him I would soon be having brain surgery. He asked who my doctor was and when I mentioned you he grinned and said, "She makes the best butternut squash soup I have ever tasted."  I laughed and my patient continued, he wants to know how much heavy creme you use?  Now I could really smile, "None, and it is all vegetarian, too."  Her extended family immediately asked for details.  For them and for any of you who may want to enjoy this fall favorite of mine, here is the recipe.
BrainDame's Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash
1 medium to large white onion (peeled and diced)
1 tbs cumin (toasted and ground)
1 tbs aleppo pepper
1-2 quarts good vegetable stock or bouillon
Salt and pepper to taste


  1. Cut squash in half lengthwise and place face down on greased pan, bake at 350 until flesh soft.  Cool.
  2. Scoop seeds out of squash (save if you want to roast them), then scoop flesh away from skin and save pulp.
  3. In a large sauce pan, sauté onions in small amount of oil until soft.
  4. Add toasted cumin and pepper and stir.
  5. Add prepared squash pulp and cover with stock.
  6. Simmer for at least 15 minutes.  Adjust seasoning.
  7. Puree soup (in pot with hand held device or in blender) and adjust consistency with additional stock if desired.
Enjoy!

1 comment: